Sunday, 5 February 2017
It has been a whole month since I last posted on my blog and a lot has happened within that time. First off I got engaged, we've also brought our first house together and then I went and dislocated my knee! With everything happening so fast I haven't really had a weekend to my self to get some blog pictures taken, so today I am back with my first impressions of Pixi Beauty.
As part of my Christmas present my parents (mum) brought me these loose eyeshadow pigments called Fairy Dust Favourites in Metallic Warmth. Aside from them being slightly messy they are absolutely beautiful. When using them I pat them on with a flat topped brush to stop any fall out and then blend afterwards with a fluffy brush. They are great warm colours with a metallic sheen which everyone could get use of and they have great pigment which is soft and easy to blend. They come stacked up on top of each other making it easy and compact to carry around, but the only issue is if you wanted to just take one with you, only the top colour has a lid.
If you read this blog post back in October you may of gathered that I had been getting some annoying hormonal blind spots on my chin that were leaving nasty marks and taking ages to get rid of. I had brought the Glam Glow Youth Cleanse Daily Exfoliating Cleanser after hearing rave reviews about the mask's in hope that it would help sort my skin. Boy was I wrong. The first time I used it everything went well and then the second evening my face had a huge reaction leaving me with more spots, extremely dry skin and eczema. I was then back on the market for another cleanser that could hopefully save my skin and decided to return to Pixi.
Pixi Beauty have recently just launched 3 new collaborations with bloggers / youtubers including the double cleanser with Caroline Hirons, who is the guru of all things skincare. I've been using this product for about 2 weeks now and I can hands on heart say this is the best thing I've ever used, especially with having such sensitive skin. I tend to remove my makeup first with a wipe then used the Solid Cleansing oil to get the rest of the makeup off, I then wipe it off with a damp muslin cloth, then go back in with the Cleansing Cream and my No.7 cleansing brush. Afterwards my skin looks refreshed and clean and feels so soft.
Whilst I was there I thought I might as well try the raved about Glow Tonic. I damp a cotton pad with the tonic then sweep all over my face after cleansing which again leaves a refreshed glow over my skin. Since using the cleanser and toner together my skin looks 100 times better especially around the chin area. I may just have to go out and bulk buy the Double Cleanser in case its limited edition! Overall since trying these products I've become a fan of Pixi Beauty and next on my list are the serums.
Have you tried Pixi Beauty before? What's your favourite products?
Saturday, 24 December 2016
|Illustration by The Smell of Roses|
I was planning on doing the Christmas Tag myself for this blog post but thought I've probably answered the majority of these questions in a round about way in my previous Blogmas posts, so I decided to rope in my nieces (Evelyn - 7 and Belle - 5) and ask them instead, plus they're a lot more entertaining than me!
What's your favourite Christmas film?Evelyn - "I really like The Grinch because it's funny. I like it when The Grinch dances and wiggles his hairy bum!"
Belle - "I like The Santa Clause because I like it when Santa falls off the roof and I love when the reindeer pumps like this (makes pumping noise)!
What's your favourite thing about Christmas?Evelyn - "Presents and all the food because its a really nice thing with family and friends at Christmas."
Belle - "Turkey and nuts."
Favourite festive food?Evelyn - "The turkey and pistachios."
Belle - "Turkey, nuts and wine."
What gift do you want the most this Christmas?Evelyn - "Lego Funfair because it looks so cool and it's going to be so cool."
Belle - "Lollipop Maker because I want to make lollipops then eat them."
Favourite Christmas song?Evelyn - "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday because it's nice and jolly and I like to shake my hips to it."
Belle - "Santa Clause Is Coming To Town because I like to say HEY and do this." (She then fist pumps the air)
Favourite memory from Christmas?Evelyn - "Opening my presents and seeing ones from my list. I got really excited when I saw my Puppy Suprise because I forgot to put it on my list cos I was really really busy with life, but Santa read my mind and knew cos I was wishing out my window and he saw me!"
Belle - "Eating turkey and nuts" (Belle's clearly a huge fan of turkey and nuts!)
What's your New Years resolution?Evelyn - "Not to eat sweets for 2 months, and I really mean it Auntie El so stop looking at me!"
Belle - "To start carrying my own school bag for mummy."
Can you both name all of Santa's reindeers?Evelyn - "Comet, Blitzen, Dasher..." (thinking hard)
Belle - "I know! Cumin, Donner, Blitzen, Mole cos I like that name, urmmmm Blitzen."
Evelyn - "Oh and Rudolph!"
I hope you enjoyed this post. These are their genuine answers typed up word for word, and I can assure you Belle has eaten turkey and nuts on other days other than Christmas!
Leave me a link below to your Christmas tag, I'd love to have a read!
Monday, 12 December 2016
|Illustration by The Smell of Roses|
As soon as Halloween ends I get the Christmas movies on the TV (add link to 10 xmas films) and the Christmas music blasting from my car. There is not a lot of time between Halloween and Christmas day to fully appreciate the songs made especially for this time of year, so I like to give myself maximum time to enjoy them until my heart is content.
Wham! - Last Christmas
Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas
Boney M - Mary's Boy Child
Carol of the Bells
Michael Bublé - Christmas
Chris Rea - Driving Home for Christmas
Bing Crosby - White Christmas
The Pogues - Fairytale of New York
Elton John - Step Into Christmas
Shakin' Stevens - Merry Christmas Everyone
What's your favourite Christmas songs to get you excited for the big day?
Wednesday, 7 December 2016
I'm not really a hot drink person but something I can definitely get on board with is hot chocolate. Its my favourite thing to drink in the colder months, with a comfy blanket and a good Christmas film. You can see my top 10 Christmas films here.
For Blogmas I thought I'd whip up something festive and a little different to the basic hot chocolate. This is a really easy peasy recipe in which you can decide the quantities and just chuck it all in! So, if you haven't guessed from the blog title I made a Peppermint White Hot Chocolate. This may sound sickly, but the balance of the sweet chocolate is cut with the after taste of the refreshing and Christmassy taste of peppermint!
- White chocolate - this can be in a bar, buttons or chocolate chips. Whatever you fancy!
- Peppermint essence
- x2 Candy canes
- Squirty cream
- In a sauce pan pour the milk in and add in the white chocolate. For the milk it depends how many cups your wanting to make. I usually just fill the cup I'm going to use 3/4 of the way leaving plenty of room for the toppings! For the chocolate it depends on taste. I hate milk and like mine to be strong. For my own cup I added in 8 squares of chocolate. Its best to start less as you can always add more as you go - just give it a quick taste test before.
- Keep it on a medium heat and keep stirring to make sure the chocolate melts and the milk doesn't burn.
- Now to add the peppermint essence. This is optional, again it depends on how much of a fan you are. I added a cap full into mine. If you want to skip this step you can always use one of the candy canes as a stirrer to get a subtle hint of peppermint.
- Once you've given it a good stir and made sure the chocolate is melted and that the milk is steaming you can then remove it off the heat and pour it into your mug of choice.
- To cool it a bit so you don't burn your tongue, just add a splash of cream.
- Time for the toppings! I topped mine with squirty cream, mini marshmallows and then I added one of the candy canes in whole as a stirrer then crushed the other one in a plastic bag with a rolling pin, then sprinkled on top.
Et voila! A super simple but festive drink for a cosy night in. Now I'm not meaning to blow my own trumpet but this is seriously tasty!
Leave me a comment below if you re-create this recipe or share me a link to yours.
Sunday, 4 December 2016
|Illustration by The Smell of Roses|
Too Faced Grande Hotel - contains 3 different palettes which have eyeshadows as well as blushers and bronzers. They also smell like festive treats! Give one lucky person the whole set or give away a palette to 3 different people.
2. Leopard daily journal - I love leopard and I love stationary. This was featured on The Anna Edits lifestyle gift guide and I've been lusting after it ever since.
3. Spectrum 10 piece essential - Spectrum do the most beautiful brushes, they're great quality and have a decent price point.
4. Lined Leather Mules - these can be a bit love / hate but I love them. These Zara lined leather mules are a good dupe for the Gucci Princetown Mules and a lot cheaper!
5. Emma Hardie Merrily Moringa - I have heard a lot of rave reviews for this product but couldn't face the usual price tag. This cute little bauble is the perfect way to test the waters before spending.
6. Missguided coat - what better time to get a new coat than at winter. The padded coat is having a bit of a moment currently and I love the faux fur lining.
7. Snow Fairy gift set - my favourite scent from Lush. It literally smells like those bubble gum fizzy bottle sweets!
8. Oil slick planter - such a cute pot for a cactus in your house.
9. Get The Glow - I love Madeline Shaw's YouTube channel and blog for all her healthy recipes and can only expect the book to be just as good.
10. Ouai - the brand new hair collection by Jen Atkin who styles celebrities hairs including Chrissy Teigan, Jessica Alba and of course the Kardashians. After watching a few tutorials her products look insane and I'm dying to try the texturising spray.
© Ellé Simpson. All rights reserved.